Thursday, April 26, 2007

Mail delivery in Mexico

OK. Maybe some areas of Mexico are better at mail delivery than Playa del Carmen, but mail delivery here never ceases to amaze me. I have told family and friends to not bother trying to mail anything to us. I tease it is because the iguanas (who I say deliver the mail) are very slow. Really it is because I don't want to go into the following details:

- my mailing address is about 9 lines long but does not coincide with any recognizable street address.

- most areas do not even have street signs.

- very few people even attempt to put their house number on the wall - probably because they are not sure what it is.

- the mail we do get can usually be found somewhere in the yard having been tossed through the gate.

- It is usually not our mail.

Here is an amusing example: the bank statement I picked up today that was lying inside our yard had been folded up like origami! I say very creative - but again it was not our statement. I am eagerly awaiting the paper airplane.

I say save postage and buy a plane ticket and deliver our mail and presents in person! Aren't I thoughtful to save you the money on a stamp?

Enjoy the Adventure, Suzanne

P.S. My book: Only in Mexico You Say? The Humorous Side of Living in Mexico is available now on my site http://www.onlyinmexicoyousay.com/

No comments: