Tuesday, April 17, 2007

What does a clock really mean in Mexico?

The clock seems to have a different meaning in Canada than it does in Mexico. They may look the same and have the same numbers but they seem to have different meanings and even different levels of importance between the countries.

I was schooled never to be late. In fact, it is best to be early. In Mexico, time seems to be of less importance - late is OK, even expected. I think that in Mexico, time is often just used as a guidepost and you can give or take an hour easily. As you can imagine this really becomes hilarious when you combine my early with my Mexican friends late.

What are the pluses to this time discrepancy? Well, I can make new friends while waiting, I can get to eat two dinners, I can shop twice as much, I can get more coffee drinking done, or I can catch up on my reading.

I must say it felt very liberating as I learned to use this Mexican concept of time in my life. I became less stressed and less harried. I learned to relax and that usually nothing is an emergency. Ah the freedom! I do miss out on those double dinners these days but I think I have more fun with life and that I am definitely slimmer.

The challenge will be switching back when I am meeting another Canadian. No, it will be best to adapt them to this new and better way of thinking of time. I'll know whether they got it or not by how full they look when I arrive.

Enjoy the Adventure! Suzanne

P.S. My book: Only in Mexico You Say? The Humorous Side of Living in Mexico is available now on my site www.OnlyinMexicoYouSay.com

No comments: