Are you planning to visit or move to Mexico? The following are my handy dandy quickie tips for newbies in Mexico.
-Don’t bother asking why! Trying to understand many of the things here will only drive you slowly nuts. Just accept that people think and do things differently here and that is what makes it such a special place.
-It is still not recommended to flush toilet paper in many places in Mexico as the plumbing system cannot handle it. In modern buildings you usually don't need to worry about this.
- All produce should be washed in a disinfecting solution and tap water. The disinfecting solution is readily available anywhere. Frankly no matter where you live I would recommend this. Just wash all your produce when you bring it home and you never have to think of it again. Yes, restaurants follow this procedure too.
- There is a class system in place in Mexico. This does not mean you have to be rude or impolite to anyone but it does mean if you are paying to have something done you better act like the boss or your worker can lose respect for you. I am firm and decisive to get the job done and always polite and this seems to be a good combo.
- Yes we use bottled water in Mexico for drinking and most cooking related activities. Restaurants use it too.
- It gets hot in Mexico in the summer. Drink lots of water ... and no, margaritas and beer do not count. However, they also should be enjoyed ... just don't forget the water.
- Expect things to happen more slowly in Mexico. Expect everything to happen much more slowly! That is what we love about it because we can move more slowly too.
- Expect people to be friendly and helpful and they will be. Especially if that is what you have shown them.
- Expect things to be different and remember the first point – don’t ask why.
You can post some more for us too!
Enjoy the Adventure! Suzanne
Suzanne Marie Bandick
P.S. My book: Only in Mexico You Say? The Humorous Side of Living in Mexico is available on my site http://www.onlyinmexicoyousay.com/
Learn Spanish in 3 days in a fun and easy way with frequency modulation rapid learning techniques. http://spanish.onlyinmexicoyousay.com/
Would you like help to visit or live in Mexico? Visit http://www.liveyourdreamscoaching.com/